[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:08:36 CET 2011

I've run into this hacker vs maker terminology issue rather often. Personally, I use both having grown up under the 'old and fine tradition'.  I do however disagree with the followup to Phillip Rhodes statement "Most people who are even slightly intelligent and informed realize that words in English are frequently overloaded with multiple meanings." - which is that they will hear the other meanings. Only the more intelligent actually hear/use the double meanings.  Most people hear a word and react to the first meaning and that colors the entire conversation.  If that meaning has a negative connotation to the person hearing, then they may shut down any empathy towards you.

Our space resides on public property and relies on the good graces of civil servants.  They and many members of the general public here in the USA have been exposed to negative meanings of 'hack' on a regular basis by The Media (and those write The Message). They react as programmed.

So to facilitate conversation moving forward in positive direction, I use maker/makerspace.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

Read a dozen lines further for the meaning of 'slithy'.

Jerry Isdale
isdale at gmail.com