[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Sun Nov 27 21:22:44 CET 2011

We take the extra few seconds to explain that we are a community workshop,
that we're good hackers, that hacking is finding creative solutions to
problems, and while we may have computer security types here we do not
allow anything illegal (we're a 501c3 nonprofit, we can't.)

A very religiously conservative family heard this as I was showing their
son Arduino, and promptly bought a bunch of Arduino stuff and vowed to come
back. If they can get over the word hacker and the craziness that goes on
at a creative space like ours, I think any other reasonable people should
be able to, too. Conventional wisdom would have us putting our space
elsewhere due to Mesa's reputation, but we've done quite well and
encountered no ill effects; rather the opposite, residents are hungry for
something like this.

Your friend does know that Jeff Moss (DarkTangent, creator of the hacker
con Defcon) advises the DHS, right? Not to mention all the good guys whose
companies pay for them to go to Black Hat and Defcon. The original hackers
were model railroaders at MIT. I think knowing hacker history is good for
everyone. But if you're not in a position to fight the mainstream, I won't
judge you. Rest assured that every space has this argument and finds some
compromise.