[hackerspaces] Hackerspace as a co-op?

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Wed Nov 23 02:27:10 CET 2011

I understand what a co-op hackerspace might look like, but I don't think
it's a contentious question... for example HeatSync isn't a "co-op" per se
but it is a 501c3 nonprofit whose members get to vote in the board of
directors and also participate in self-governance via proposals and votes
at regular meetings. But there is still a board, an organizational bank
account, we're a registered nonprofit corporation with the state.

I suppose a co-op would include more strict language in its bylaws
indicating that paying members are all given an equal vote and are the
highest authority in the organization (as opposed to a board-based org.)

But colloquially, I'm pretty sure that some form of member self governance
is a very common feature of hackerspaces.