[hackerspaces] Webcam setups, for security and community?

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Fri Nov 4 14:42:42 CET 2011

Our space is using two D-Link IP cameras monitoring both entrances out
in the hall. I had tried to get zoneminder to play ball (along with some
regular USB webcams) but no dice. For now we're using the DVR software
the cameras came with. Seems to work well enough, plus we have two weeks
of motion-detected video if we ever need it.

However you'll never beat the quality of a commercial surveillance
system... expensive as hell, but you do get what you pay for.

Ben