[hackerspaces] Merchant Service Account Reccomendations

Rhys Rhaven rhys at rhavenindustrys.com
Tue Nov 1 18:25:55 CET 2011

Wepay kept emailing our directors list with HEY YOU SHOULD USE US and we
had to tell them to go away multiple times. This isn't surprising as
most all the financial industry is evil.

I'm a System's Administrator for a smallish (~100 people) credit card
processor here in Chicago. We have a lot of hacker friendly people in
IT. So I've been thinking for a while I should try to setup something in
our company that we can get hackerspaces accounts. We do the
underwriting inhouse most of the time. Problem is that while rate wise
we are cheaper than square, paypal, wepay, etc, our model is not all
that clear. Kinda like telco bills. There is a set amount of overhead to
have a merchant account. Different companies call the fees different
things, but overhead is still overhead.

What would be nice would be for a group like the School Factory to pay
for a general account that all other hackerspaces can process through.
Then all the spaces can get low rates and share the overhead cost.
Spaces would have to work together. Would anyone be interested in this?