[hackerspaces] Please help us promote online privacy

Micah Lee micah at eff.org
Sat May 28 01:02:48 CEST 2011

On 05/27/2011 03:47 PM, Spike wrote:
> Install a tor exit node isn't without consequences: several IRC
> networks or sites like Wikipedia ban tor relays.
>
> The people with only 1 IPv4 should evaluate the node impact.
> This FAQ covers the topic:
> http://tor.hermetix.org/faq-abuse.html.en#TypicalAbuses
>
> I strongly advise any space to be sure people are educated on those
> issues. As Micah said, "All relays count, including exit nodes,
> bridges and middle nodes.", the middle node could be an option.
>
> Another useful resource is also
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment.

We will be publishing an updated Tor Legal FAQ that covers all of this
stuff. I'll email this list when the campaign launches next week so you
can read all the necessary materials.

But yes, middle nodes really help the Tor network but also are much
safer from an abuse standpoint than running an exit node. I'm not sure
if it would make sense for open hacker spaces to run bridges, since the
bridges are supposed to be secret, but it's certainly an option. These
are all good things to discuss.

The Noisebridge hacker space in San Francisco already runs a middle
node:
http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=5d4883662b9443aa1c4efad1f04399e9b4b7d7ac

--
Micah Lee
Web Developer - Electronic Frontier Foundation