[hackerspaces] CC-licensed Maker Pedagogy (Lesson Plans, etc)?

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Tue May 24 08:53:48 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-23 22:21, john arclight wrote:
> One problem with teaching subjects like mathematics is that you need to
> make up a bunch of exercises, make sure they can be solved, etc.

This isn't a big problem, and to me the most interesting part is making
the exercises.
If you're looking for inspiration, most of the stuff in dutch mathbooks
can be used although not copied. I know of only one patented excerise.
For the rest you can just take the concept and use it to create a new
excersice.

The interesting part though is making -new- and exciting excersises,
things that haven't been invented yet or atleast not widespread.

> Teachers usually build their lessons around an existing book for this
> reason.  What about using an out-of-copyright text that is avaiilable as
> a PDF to create a class? Those 1960s calculus/trig/stats books are B&W
> and don't have web links, but the content hasn't really changes.

Well, as a teacher you'll always customise your lesson plan on the
class, sometimes they just handle certain material better then others,
sometimes the levels are just balanced differently. I think this should
be one of the core points in it, that from the produced content it's
easy to make customised lessonplans.

w.

--
GPG-Key: 4096R/FCF154AE 2008-10-19 [expires: 2012-10-18]
Key fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE