[hackerspaces] pay-what-you-can

Matt lehner mlehner at gmail.com
Wed May 18 02:52:18 CEST 2011

Most of the members who pay the $20 do put in the 5 hours and more. We
are generally very lax about what constitutes your 5 hours. As long as
someone is a good member of the community and is not sitting off in a
corner at all times never interacting, they generally make their 5
hours through physical work or just by contributing ideas and
conversation to the space.

There is only a small population that do not contribute regularly and
pay the $20/month. Most of those people are ones that visit the space
the least (only 4-5 hours a month at most) and the few that remain are
reminded of the minimums. We have yet to give anyone an ultimatum over
dues.

I would definitely say that we would like more room in our budget for
project materials sometimes, but we working on a project sponsorship
framework so people can raise money (easily) for a project they want
to work on from local individuals and businesses.