[hackerspaces] How do you define YOUR hackerspace

Jordan Miller jrdnmlr at gmail.com
Tue May 10 17:44:02 CEST 2011

Leadership is certainly non-trivial, and nowhere is it taught very effectively that I've seen in basic education. For an enlightening video on what has been proven to work and not work, watch this:
http://ecorner.stanford.edu/authorMaterialInfo.html?mid=2564

A lot of it sounds like common sense, but some of the more subtle points especially I think are very commonly missed. The best leaders I've worked with have an unflappable, calm, cool, collected disposition and are deeply aware of their responsibility to provide for and nurture those they try to lead.

And I think a lot of this applies very directly to hackerspaces and other organizations trying to unify diverse independent awesome people around a common set of explicit goals.

Even if your goal is to not provide too much structure, it always helps to be clear about it.

Jordan