[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?
farmckon at gmail.com
Mon May 9 03:02:47 CEST 2011
This discussion has happened before*
After that discussion and some drinks, a few of us came up with the
following rules of thumb:
Informal guidelines of what makes a hackerspace.
1) Owned and run by its members democratically
2) A nonprofit organization, and/or have regular of public access for
3) Shares tools, equipment and skills freely without charge to each other
4) A strong emphasis on technology and invention
5) Has shared physical space or project as a center of the community
6) A strong spirit of invention and science, STEM, and freely sharing ideas
To be a hackespace, a group needs to have at least 5 of those 6 characteristics.
That is what we came up with. What do you folks think? I'd love to
hear expanded, better ideas.
More information about the Discuss