[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

Buddy Smith buddy.smith at ieee.org
Thu May 5 23:09:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Agent 5 <ag3nt5 at dc401.org> wrote:
> I agree. Historically (and genetically) collaboration tends to lead to
> greater and better things. Why let a difference in philosophical belief
> prevent you from progress.

By that argument, we should add car clubs, computer clubs, robot
clubs, and everyone else to the hackerspaces list.

I personally think the list should be limited to things that follow
the model of a hackerspace. There are other sites for tech clubs,
coworking spaces, and things of that sort. I'd love for Freeside to be
listed in broader areas, but I personally don't think things like
coworking spaces belong on the hackerspaces list.

It's just my personal opinion, but I feel pretty strongly about it. If
I was looking for a hackerspace, I wouldn't want to find something
that wasn't, at all, a hackerspace.

I've been to Ignition Alley. It's a neat concept. I hope they're
successful. I hope that some cool companies get their start there. I
still don't feel like they are a hackerspace. For one, they don't self
identify as a hackerspace…..

--buddy