[hackerspaces] Raspberry Pi - $25 ARM based PC

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Thu May 5 17:11:37 CEST 2011

I think the key here will be (if we want to get huge quantities out there)

1) Ask them whether Hack(er)spaces can get involved in working with
and improving the design. Ask them for a mailing list, forum or
website we can get involved *with* them in.
2) Encourage them to open source the design - point them, gently, at
the Arduino design. Remind them that by making the design open, they
don't lose control, but it does give more people more of a chance to
collaborate.
3) If they don't want to open source it, get on the hacking wagon. Get
some great plans of what you can (and should/shouldn't) do with such a
box. I really liked the idea further down this chain (not sent to all
the CC's above) that said:

I was just reminded of an educational outdoor kiosk project for a
local non-profit that got scrapped due to concerns over running power
to where they'd need it.  This with a 15-17" LED lit lcd (20W max)
could easily be solar powered, and greatly simplify the cabinet to
install it all in as it wouldn't need active cooling, thus making it
easier to weatherproof.

A great example of this is the Joggler, AKA an OpenPeak frame, running
Linux, and (was) selling at £50 in the UK. Went like hot cakes, and
got LOADS of people interested in doing stuff with them... these boxes
are still selling on EBay for around £50-70, with or without mods.

Imagine one of these powering a wearable computing project??? How cool
would that be?
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs