[hackerspaces] That one person...

Deech deech at ninjacow.net
Wed Mar 2 17:52:30 CET 2011

I agree with the previous posters. If this person is being too dominating,
is he even aware he's doing it?

Generally speaking, as nerdy hackertypes, we're all prone to various degrees
of social interaction issues.

You say he's doing good solid work in the space and he's helping people, so
he's obviously making an effort for the space so perhaps he just needs to
find out what he's doing wrong so he can correct it.
Many of us builder types will just keep barreling forward to get a project
done or do things the way we think are right and will stay oblivious to
issues in our wake.
Hell, I know I do it myself. I just have to hope my friends can understand
that I really don't mean any harm and will respect me enough to take me
aside and let me know when I'm screwing up instead of just leaving me to
hang until I unwittingly piss off the people I care about around me.

So, I guess my point is, just talk to the guy. He may not even be aware of
what he's doing.

Also talk to the other hackers in the space, like the poster above
mentioned, make sure that other folks are noticing it and agree with your
viewpoint. It's easy to sometimes perceive things in a certain light based
on your own bias or mindset and maybe others will have a different angle on
it. If other people in the space do agree with you, then get them to talk to
him with you, or get the help of leaders in your space, if you have them.

-Deech