[hackerspaces] hacker passport, international hacker memberiship, resources sharing

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 02:13:56 CEST 2011

From: aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com>
To: Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com>
Cc: Noisebridge <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
Sent: Sun, June 12, 2011 10:36:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] I'm switching for hiatus status

>> This actually makes me ask whether we could consolidate a "hackerspaces
>>membership" where someone could pay a set fee and be
>>
>> considered a member  of several different hackerspaces. That way if you travel
>>to Seattle,  Chicago, NYC, etc, you'd already have a group >> of friends and be
>>trusted  to member-level use of resources.

>> Has this been considered at all? I know we were playing with the idea of a
>>"passport" a while back.

Hi Aestetix & all,
I've been asking in various hackerspaces about the membership/resources and it
looks like that if the hackerspaces which you are visiting and where are you
from are connected, the situation is quite easy to sort out in a positive way,
generally paying in one of them and it is fine.

However I've to say that from my point of view the most easy way would be pay in
your home hacker center and temporarily in the other one which you are visiting.
Bit more expensive but most simple. Option number two would be to create some
group of hacker spaces which would recognise each other so also the status of
the members etc. However what about resources/money. If I'm now at 091 labs as a
member of Noisebridge, to whom shall I pay, how much and who is going to keep
the resources. The arguments may vary from point of view that you are using
resources in a place so you should support it. Or other point of view is that
you were using resources in another place before, these help you to create
something which you are applying/teaching in the "new" space so again, who gets
the resources the helpers at the beginning? Maybe Mitch could you comment? Is
your project about the passports about this too, is it going to be revealed
soon? :-)))

It may sounds materialistic but I'm learning more and more that strong/good
financial base/habits are very important for creation, running and finishing the
projects. I've plenty to learn, but I'm trying.

Anyway I would love to hear your feedback and I'm posting this also to the
hackerspace.org

Which remind me that I'm around four days behind paying my membership at 091
labs ....

Sincerely,

Frantisek

Hi to All!