[hackerspaces] RE : IPv6 Day

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:45:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Rhys Rhaven <rhys at rhavenindustrys.com> wrote:
> Whatever I find. Currently I'm getting a good number of ~3Ghz Pentium 4s. A
> gig of ram and most importantly, proper Intel NICs. 3 gigabit NICs will max
> out a PCI bus, but for a perimeter router it works great. Basic rule of

I've maxed out PCI bus with 1 NIC and a 4 port sata raid controller.
upgraded to a pci-x board and more than doubled the throughput.
Though really, most of us don't have to worry about hitting the gigE
speeds, or even 100Mbit, for our internet routing.

only time a cisco might work better, or at least easier, is for a vpn,
and even then only if you can control what OS and software the users
devices run.