[hackerspaces] Do your spaces have a theft problem? How do you deal with it?

h0uz3 h0uz3 at foto23.com
Tue Jul 26 10:33:41 CEST 2011

Hi Koen,

> Unfortunately, we have a shelter for drug-addicts across the street.
They
> tend not to care too much about education, more about breaking windows
> and quickly grabbing some stuff to fence for their next shot.

Well, this is indeed the kind of situation when heavily armed
windows/doors and cam surveillance are your best friend. Protection against
burglars is unfortunately necessary, some places need it more than others.

I had my mind on "things getting stolen by visitors". Completely different
situation, anyway. This discussion is about two similiar, but in fact
slightly different problems spaces can get in.

I used to live in a really drug-addict-fled area (Frankfurt/Main,
Bahnhofsviertel, Germany), my car got broken into and was severely damaged.
It was right in front of a surveillance cam, which helped the officials to
get me a ticket whenever I stood longer in my parking space than allowed,
but when someone raped my Audi the cameras where offline for some reason.

> Saillant detail: they also took a bottle of mate from the fridge. It was
> still on the bar, one sip taken. I guess they figured out it was not
> beer pretty quickly :)

Tasteless drug-addicts! Who needs beer when he can have Mate!

--
Kein Footer.