[hackerspaces] Do your spaces have a theft problem? How do you deal with it?

John Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:11:04 CEST 2011

We've had a couple of things go missing, but it was at a large public
party. Now we put away anything that is small and desirable before we
open the doors. For the most part, we have nothing of value that can
be moved without a big truck.

Also, pro tip: Don't leave the donation jar in the bathroom. Someone
pilfered the change out of our "donation tube" during another party.

We have a pretty small number of key holders, so nobody is worried too
much about "insider theft."  Our building is also alarmed, which is
definitely what chased away the thieves that broke into another
tenant's warehouse.

One thing about cameras: You really need either high-quality cameras
or a camera at a choke point with good lighting. Otherwise, you'll end
up with a bunch of useless, blurry pictures of people stealing your
stuff.

Arclight