[hackerspaces] A New Hacker Has Joined Your Party!

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Jan 14 00:39:42 CET 2011

Now I shall pull a Walt Whitman and say something that contradicts myself.
I am large, and I contain multitudes.

Spaces whether we want it to be so or not, reflect upon each other.  In so
far as positive popular opinion serves spaces, so do popular negative
opinion.  If one space decides to take a political stance on a hot topic
such as say "wikileaks", they run the risk of polarizing perceptions of what
hackerspaces are in some minds.  That in turn can impact other spaces.

So regardless of what a community locally comes to consensus on, it's
important that people remain mindful of the fact that... everything we each
individually do, reflects upon all of us as a whole.  And while so far
hackerspaces have enjoyed unbelievably good press in the US, we simply
aren't a household name.  If we end up engendering the ill will of any group
of people that can hinder what some hackerspaces consider to be a chief goal
of furthering technology / making / hacking.

I've always liked the vagueness of NYCR's mission to "Learn, share, make".
Basically, I wonder if maybe there should be a global mission statement.
Something we all agree is paramount to our own individual missions.  So that
we can avoid putting pressures on each other that might hurt our goals.  Can
we agree on some very simple definition of the mission of hackerspaces.  And
then use that as a general rule of thumb for deciding if an action will
violate our shared trust?

Maybe that's a good thing.  I don't want to limit the individual cultures
and innovations of each very different space.  But at the same time I
recognize that we are tie together in many ways beyond our own wishes.  And
we need to acknowledge that reality and act appropriately.

But that's just my personal thoughts.