[hackerspaces] The Beginning source material? dvswitch outptut to an online streaming service?

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 05:03:36 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Andrew Orr <andrew at andreworr.ca> wrote:
> The live streaming depends on
> if we can get dvswitch set up to stream online somewhere the night before.
> Has anyone done this before using an online service like ustream.tv,
> justin.tv etc? Running our own icecast is a possibility but we're not sure
> of the bandwidth available at the venue, so this might not work out.

I haven't tried this with ustream.tv or justin.tv, but you should be
able to get it to work. You will need an FLV stream with H.264 video
an MP3 audio being sent using the RTMP protocol.

You can take care of everything except RTMP using ffmpeg, then send
the ffmpeg output to a local RTMPd (open source rtmp server) using TCP
and use RTMPd's "proxypublish" functionality to forward the stream to
ustream.tv using the RTMP protocol.

This works directly from dvgrab, so I'm guessing it will work from dvswitch:

  dvgrab - | ffmpeg -i - -vcodec libx264 -vpre superfast -acodec
libmp3lame -f flv -ar 22050 -deinterlace "tcp://localhost:6666"

You probably want to alter "-vpre superfast" for better quality.

Then set up RTMPd. It should accept incoming connections on localhost
port 6666 using the default config file.

Have a look at this thread for some info on how to set up proxypublish
for forwarding to ustream/justin:

  http://groups.google.com/group/c-rtmp-server/browse_thread/thread/6f4f862a732a9183

You might run into trouble with the stream name, since I think
ustream.tv expects a specific flv stream name. If you do, I have a
patched ffmpeg that supports -sname to set stream name from the
command line.

And yeah, I know it's fairly sucky that we have to wade through
setup/configuration hell just to get some live video on the web.
We're working to remedy the situation.

Soon.

Sooooon...

--