[hackerspaces] always on video streaming? (was What's your streaming setup?)

Bacon Zombie baconzombie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 01:08:06 CET 2011

If it's going to be members only why not just SSH into the Firewall /
DNS / DHCP Server and see what request are going though.

You can normally tell very fast if somebody is in the space and 80% of
the time who it most likely is......

On 15 February 2011 23:34, Adina Bogert-O'Brien <adina at thinkhaus.org> wrote:
>> There's a simple solution: Make them voluntary. Put another switch right
>> next to the light switch, so when people come in, they can choose to
>> enable the cameras or not.
>
> This is the idea I feel most comfortable with. We've been having vague
> discussions about cameras at our space. I like the idea of being able to
> check in and see whether anyone's about. On the other hand, I've had friends
> deal with being stalked. That experience makes me uncomfortable with
> automatic public streaming - it's too easily abused in a situation like
> that. It's something I wouldn't have thought of before, but I also suspect
> that it's a fairly common situation. It just doesn't often get talked about.
> Putting public cameras on a switch also doesn't give the wider internet
> knowledge of when the space is empty, which I can also see as an advantage.
> I'm not sure where I stand on constant streaming to members only. In a close
> community it seems like creepy stalkers could get kicked out before a
> situation becomes a problem. On the other hand, I think there tends to be a
> fair amount of denial in any community that this sort of thing occurs -
> maybe especially in a hackerspace where many spaces inherently make a trust
> decision before letting someone join.
> Clearly we need a system where every member has a whitelist of people
> allowed to see them on screen, and only allow those on the whitelist of
> every present member to see the stream. That's ridiculously overcomplicated
> though, and also vulnerable to the fact that we're, well, hackerspaces...
> Probably switches are the way to go.
> -Adina

BaconZombie

….all text in this mail is double-rot13 encrypted. ...