[hackerspaces] DNA Spray in Amsterdam?

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Tue Feb 15 09:37:57 CET 2011

On 02/15/2011 04:58 AM, Chris Weiss wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM, B F <bakmthiscl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I dunno.  There's an awful lot of info on the web calling this a DNA spray.
>
> you know there's this drink called Sex on the Beach that doesn't
> involve sex or a beach, right?

Man... I have been doing it wrong all this time then ?

> it's just a name.  While there is such
> a thing as synthetic DNA that actually does imitate real DNA including
> the ability replicate, this stiff is not that.  it's just a specially
> encoded compound that's registered and traceable.  The SmartWater
> variant claims to use a rare earth metal soup that's even fireproof.

This article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/world/europe/19rotterdam.html
claims
As far as the DNA is concerned, “the material is identical” to human DNA,
[said Donald van der Laan, whose company, the Rhine Group, distributes the
spray], “though there is a different sequence of components.”

Now for the interesting question : what funky uses can a hacker find for a
reserve of random DNA sequences ?