[hackerspaces] What's your recording setup?

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Sat Feb 12 14:07:42 CET 2011

On 2011-02-12 13:41, Hans Fraiponts wrote:
> Hi, for my local hackerspace I'd like to record talks.
> I have a few usb webcams, a microphone and a computer.
> I'd like to be able to switch between cams, set the audio to
> microphone and I'd like the output to be recorded to harddrive.
> Just like the professionals ;-)
> Does anyone know an open source toolchain that would allow me to do so?
>
> If not how do you handle recordings in your space?

Last time I did recording I had 2 dvcams connected to each a machine
with firewire. I mixed the streams with dvswitch, a nice opensource tool
for doing basic live video mixing from DV streams. It can do DV over
network, playout from file or grab it from screens or webcams. Worked
quite well. For audio I used to build-in mics, but I've also used the
sennheisser wireless mic setups which do improve the sound, but a good
directional mic should work quite fine if the distance isn't so much,
for larger spaces you'd want a mic at the speaker, but the you probably
have a PA already and can just plug this into the cam or mix it in,
although I don't think dvswitch as an option for doing this later.

ciao,

GPG-Key: 4096R/FCF154AE 2008-10-19 [expires: 2012-10-18]
Key fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE
Key URL: https://hosting.puscii.nl/~webmind/webmind.asc