[hackerspaces] Looking for some insight from other S.O.O.H.

nicolle n. superherogirl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 06:19:42 CET 2011

i'm right there with you on group classes, and the importance of having
people in the space.  things like classes and open-to-the-public hackathons
are great for getting the word out and getting new people into the space.

co-working is something i've always been a little wary about at a
hackerspace, though.  people deciding on their own to work on some job stuff
at the space, fine.  having a desk for people to set out any kind of
projects that need a desk, fine.  where it may get dicey to invite
co-working is if, during the day, someone wants to co-work and someone else
wants to do something fairly loud.  even though that may not usually happen,
there's a potential for conflict there...and the idea of someone being able
to play the "this is for my job, knock it off with that project of yours"
card at a hackerspace might be dangerous for people's likelihood of
continuing to see the space as a safe and open haven for project work.

and one thing...just because there are people at your space who aren't into
infosec doesn't mean you're any less of a "hackerspace".  infosec is just
another skill, just like lockpicking or knife sharpening or anything else.
different people at a hackerspace are interested in different things, and
have different skill levels at them.  the key to a hackerspace is that it's
a place that people are comfortable and excited to bring themselves and
their projects, and willing to share their skills with people who are
interested in learning them.  it's a place of project progress and knowledge
exchange, not limited to any particular subject--and only limited by the
interests of the people who come in.

nicolle

"despite these imperfections
despite all i say