[hackerspaces] will the fruits of our labors be used for good or for evil?

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 05:12:53 CET 2011

There's one other thing I'd like to add -- and again, I'll explicitly state that this is my point of view:One of the reasons I'm so high on hackerspaces, and why I go around the world helping them, and helping people start them, is that they are places where people explore and do what they love.  And they do this whether or not it makes them money.  Nothing wrong with making money doing what you love -- in fact I wholeheartedly hope that we will all find ways to do that!  But it is not about the money.  It is about doing what we love (whether or not it makes money).  Again, this is my point of view, and I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to motivate themselves.  But when grant money comes into play, then people may start changing what they do to make it more likely to receive the grant money, rather than exploring and doing what they love.  And I think that is a shame.   If doing some stuff at hackerspaces starts becoming about receiving grant money, then those projects may start receiving higher priority than other projects being done "merely" because people love them (but that won't receive grant money).  If that happens, then that can make people self-censor themselves at hackerspaces.  And I think that would be a shame. If doing some stuff at hackerspaces is funded by grant money, then it is possible that the grant givers may imply (or hackerspace members may believe it is implied) that doing certain things will make it more likely that they will receive more grant money the following year.  And, conversely, doing certain other things may make it less likely to receive more grant money the following year.  This can make people self-censor themselves at hackerspaces.  And I think that would be a shame. Hackerspaces don't actually *need* a lot of money to do awesomely cool stuff!  Look at all of the amazing things that have already come from hackerspaces, and with very little funding.  We need *enough* money -- and that amount may not be all that much.  Again, there is nothing wrong with funding.  But it is not about the funding.  It is about doing what we love.  (And, if people do what they love, then not only are they adding more fulfillment to their lives, but also making it more likely that projects that they love will go out into the world, and making the world a better place for those around them, too.  And when people do what they love, it is highly likely that others will like what they love.  And those others will want to support the people who are doing those projects -- 'cause they love them.  And, in our culture, that often means that those others may be willing to pay the people doing the projects so that they may continue to do those projects (and/or provide products spawned from those projects).  Wouldn't it be awesome if more people got enough money doing what they love to keep doing what they love?  To me, this is *the* definition of a successful life.) Again, this is why I love hackerspaces.  Everyone has their own reasons.  I do want to encourage everyone to explore theirs.  And to make their own choices based on who they are and what they truly think is best for themselves, for those around them, and the world we all share. Best,Mitch.  --------------------