[hackerspaces] will the fruits of our labors be used for good or for evil?

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Mon Dec 5 01:21:29 CET 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Jordan Miller wrote:

> awareness of agendas backing funds is always important from a clarity standpoint. but I fail to see how hackerspace grant money which is free and clear or how cancer research money being used to discover new treatments are evil.

Because we're not tailing about cancer research, so quit bringing it up.

 We're talking about hackerspaces, which work in electronics, hardware, robotics, etc. We're also in a period of more than a decade of war using, you guessed it, electronics, hardware, and robotics.

 If I have to paint more of an obvious picture here, I think the point is lost.

 DARPA is seeking to get sources of ideas and technology, as well as possible public legitimacy, by associating itself with hackerspaces and bringing them into its sphere of influence. By definition, the DARPA sphere of influence is the military-industrial complex aka a war machine.

Al