[hackerspaces] Sociology thesis on hacker culture in the Netherlands

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Fri Apr 29 10:49:07 CEST 2011

Hey Elgin,

Great stuff (and not only because it is very good for my ego to see
my name all over :)! I only had time to do a quick diagonal scan yet,
but your story-telling is quite catching and i'm for sure going to
dive into sociological theoretical stuff :)

Bit sad that we haven't been able to make you feel more 'one of us'
though. I've seen you as one of us for sure, since you were quite
curious and eager to investigate and learn, which for me is what
defines the way of the hacker.

It's something i've become increasingly aware of recently though,
the bit where we're "a bunch of hackers doing something on their
laptops". Well, it's not just that anymore either, we've got a lot
of people working on stuff you can actually see as well lately, but
yeah.. Doing stuff on laptops (mostly irc I think :)) is a large
part of what goes on..

Anyway, thanks for writing and sharing! I've got something to read
over the weekend now. And for sure you are going to make an appearance
on signal soon to discuss some of the outcome!

Gr,

Koen (gmc)