[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces Manual

Christopher Pilkington cjp at 0x1.net
Mon Apr 4 19:39:36 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Koen Martens <gmc at har2009.org> wrote:
> It looks like someone is trying to set up a normative document defining
> what a hackerspace is. And the council, what's that supposed to be?? An
> enforcing agency, stripping away the label 'hackerspace' when someone's
> definition of a hackerspace does not match with that of the council?

I heartily agree with Koen. A hackerspace council? Really?

Our space, Syracuse Innovators Guild, has its own purposes, and is
beholden only to its members and our articles of incorporation.

As anyone who has participated in this mailing list for any amount of
time realizes, hackerspaces are very diverse, ranging from corporate
entities that are for profit all the way to squats with no legal
entity.

It's great to have a document to help those trying to start a
hackerspace, but it's an entirely different vegetable to start an
international organisation with chapters that report back to a central
council.

-cjp