[hackerspaces] National Fab Lab Network Act of 2010 (111-HR6003)

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Thu Sep 23 21:40:44 CEST 2010

  Hi, David,

To a certain extent, you have to trust your representatives -- it is the
nature of *representative* democracy.
Of course, it's about money.    I see the HackerSpace I co-founded
http://www.makerspaceu.org   as an
informal incubator for radical product design.    Believe me, non-profit
funding is a LOT more benign than
Small Business Administration's demands for idiotic prediction of
unsustainable growth or what a Venture
Capitalist will take from your hard-born creativity.

Here are the most stringent restrictions I see in the bill:
> NFLN shall
> > examine the ability of the organization to supply a physical location
> > for the lab, their */financial ability to pay for sufficient staff to
> > operate the lab and train its users/*, an ability to engage the local
> > community or other sufficient user base, and an awareness of those
> > long term obligations.
It's a bit of a catch-22, since the availability of funding through the
proposed NFLN depends on the applicant meeting these criteria.

Other than that, I don't see anything objectionable in the bill as
distributed.

-Stewart Dickson, Communications and Technology Commissioner (1998-2002)
City of Calabasas, CA  91302