[hackerspaces] thinking (and talking) about how accessible our spaces are (or aren't)

Sara Gould sajego at alum.rit.edu
Fri Sep 10 00:39:43 CEST 2010

I'll chime in on accessibility with a reminder that text is more
accessible than video for those of us who can't hear well (and for the
many folks who don't have sound at work, and for the search engines).
It's very hard to lip read a video, so transcripts or closed captions
(YouTube's automated ones are hilarious and rarely accurate) are so
appreciated.  That's not so much a in-space issue, but definitely
comes up more and more on the web as we move to video.

The WisCon page has preferential seating up front for 'speech readers'
which is pretty cool.  That would be my main accommodation as I don't
use sign language and do read lips.  I also have a personal wireless
mic system that I can use with there's a sound system in use in a
large room.  I think the main thing to remember for anyone who is deaf
or hard of hearing (that's the PC term of the hour) is that only they
know what will help them the best. So the WisCon method of saying
contact us for more support is right on.

Sara