[hackerspaces] thinking (and talking) about how accessible our spaces are (or aren't)

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Fri Sep 10 00:15:06 CEST 2010

Probably the most insightful and concise document I've read on the topic
is the WisCon Access page:

http://www.wiscon.info/access.php

WisCon is a large (1100-person) feminist science fiction convention with
a history of working really hard on access issues.  I think the stuff
they've run into and thought through maps pretty well to hackerspaces,
except maybe in the scale of things :)

I feel like the WisCon doc covers most issues hackerspaces are likely to
run into except for chemical smells from equipment.  If you're
interested in reading more on the topic, a couple more resources I found
are:

http://www.doitmyselfblog.com/2008/a-checklist-for-planning-an-accessible-event/

Human Resources Development Canada's Guide to Planning Inclusive
Meetings: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/disability_issues/doc/gpim/guide.pdf

Hope that helps!

-Leigh