[hackerspaces] Fwd: [CCHS] Hello from Make Hack Void

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:40:11 CEST 2010

> I have been thinking of setting up a similar aggregator, but for
> hackerspace mailing list/forum posts.  The idea is that I have a bot
> that signs up to hackerspace mailing lists, then someone trawls
> through the posts filtering out the administrivia/excessively local
> content, leaving the technical content.  This technical content would
> then go to the aggregator in RSS or email form for others to sign up
> to.

this would be almost trivially easy using FUDforum's mailing list sync
feature.  ArchReactor uses it now to sync our mailing lists and
forums.  It's not perfect as it doesn't do any real reply stripping,
so the forums sometimes look like those mailing list archives such as
OSDir, but it does have a decent regex to strip email addresses so
they aren't posted in where a crawler can find them.

Since the mail is imported into a fully featured forum, moderators
could easily edit and delete stuff to clean it up (which A.R. doesn't
do).  Or improve the import script with some simple logic to strip
reply text that isn't obviously quoted (which is on my infinite todo
list, unless someone else steps up first).