[hackerspaces] Synchronous 15th anniversary Hackers party

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 07:44:52 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Chris Weiss <cweiss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also one of our members made a script to overlay logs from that
>> channel as subtitles to the movie.  The script was tested on a Debian
>> machine and works great, but fails on a Ubuntu machine.  Feel free to
>> play with it.
>> https://the.narro.ws/svn/brimstone/programming/bash/livesubtitles.bash
>
> worked as-is on ubuntu 10.04 x64

I like the idea of a sync'd mass movie viewing, so I made some
improvements to this script
http://gist.github.com/608301

short list:
- channel is a config option now
- only try to make subs if actually playing and PID is still alive
- movie file selection can now be done from IRC with a SETUP command.
this requires all nodes have the same file layout and file names
- added PAUSE and STOP commands.  STOP has to be called before
switching the movie
- attempts duplicate NICK resolution (not sure this is actually working yet)

Hopefully we can attempt another mass viewing of something sometime.