[hackerspaces] where do you buy electronics components and tools?

Jeff Keyzer jeff at mightyohm.com
Mon Nov 1 17:53:40 CET 2010

Hello,

Mitch Altman and I are in the process of writing a book about "Making Cool Things with Microcontrollers (for people who know nothing)."  The book is aimed at complete beginners and encourages people to turn their amazing ideas into reality through the use of microcontrollers.

We want to include a list of where to buy parts and tools in the book.  Our readers will need to buy a soldering iron, solder, and miscellaneous odds and ends like wire, batteries, resistors, capacitors, etc.

We don't intend for the list to be exhaustive, but I do want to include some highlights for readers around the world.

I'd like to know what your favorite places to buy electronics-related items are.  Where do you shop?  Local or online?

We are particularly interested in hearing from people who live outside of the United States.  Where do you buy solder and components in Europe?  Asia?  South America?  Africa?

Mitch and I are already pretty familiar with the resources available here in the US.  But if you have a place you think absolutely must be on the list (and it's not Digikey, Mouser, Jameco, or Element 14/Newark), I'd like to hear about it.

Thank you and best regards,
Jeff Keyzer
jeff at mightyohm.com