[hackerspaces] Establishing hackerspace and getting people actively involved

Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) nick at hackerspaces.org
Mon May 10 03:01:23 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 19:15, Adam D Bachman <adam.bachman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You don't need to simulate what a space would be (with projects
>> and talks), you just need to be genuinely excited and show people
>> you're going to do it - with them or without them. They'll come.
>
> The "with them or without them" was huge for us at Baltimore Node. We set a
> target for costs ($800 a month) and once we had enough people willing to
> guarantee support for 6 months, we signed a lease. All the well wishing and
> "that sounds like fun!" gets you exactly nowhere.

"Doers and Makers" usually lurk on the sidelines until something
*actually happens*.  They're usually too busy doing things on their
own to get involved with a group effort that might go nowhere.

It's a well established pattern (since the presentation that McFly
cited) that it takes 2-6 people to "do all the work".  Often, it's
usually just ONE person who's doing all the work, collecting the
money, filling out papers, etc.

Once the space is open, people start showing up and it takes off from
there.  Whoever that one person is can usually safely find others more
than willing to pick up the administrative slack.

In short, BE that one person.  Don't stop until you have the keys to a
nice new space.

Nick Farr