[hackerspaces] Fwd: [austin-hacker-space] Speaking at Defcon

Matthew McCabe matt at mrmccabe.com
Sun May 9 22:14:48 CEST 2010

In the interest of beating this dead horse a bit less, I will keep this short ;)

Matt - hackerspaces are a new thing to 99% of the population...lets
educate them!

I think it is important to have a hackerspace talk ever year at Defcon
to educate newbies on what a hackerspace is, how to start one,
problems, solutions, etc.  I would have loved to hear something like
this when I was thinking about starting a space rather than walking
into it more-or-less blindly.

Again, I propose a 15-20 minute talk about how one hackerspace, AHS,
started as an example of the good, bad, and ugly of starting a space.
Then open up the floor to questions from people on problems they are
experiencing starting a space, where to get more info, general
hackerspace issues that have come up in the last year, etc.  That is
where you all come in - I would like to get a few more experienced
founders/members on the panel so that we can give good answers to some
of the more difficult or controversial questions/problems.

Thanks,
Matt