[hackerspaces] need help hacking Audiovox DPF711K Video Message Center

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 08:13:57 CET 2010

Some quick results on your chip numbers:

GL824C - Fancy Flash card/USB controller for embedded systems:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/GL824C-datasheet.html

I can't read any of the other chip numbers.

Your best bet is going to be copying them down, then doing Google searches
for "LM7805 data sheet" and poking around in the results.  Unlike sites
offering stolen eBooks, the datasheet sites offer you the goods for free
with just a banner ad at the top of the page or some such.

The bottom and right sections of the boards appear to be power supply. Note
the thick traces come away, and the filter caps. Also, 3-pin chips with heat
sinking and inductors nearby are other good indicators of a switching power
supply.

The microcontroller is probably going ot be one of the other large chips.
When you figure out what microcontroller chip you are dealing with, it may
be possible to access/reprogram it via the JTAG bus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Test_Action_Group

Unfortunately, hacking consumer devices has become a lot more difficult with
better integration of components. One custom ASIC might combine a
microcontroller, eeprom, display driver, UART, etc into one "black box"
package and documentation may not be available if it is a proprietary chip.

Arclight