[hackerspaces] Looking for video recording of protests/crowds for testing crowd-counting algorithms

pieter.heremans pieter at L45.be
Wed Jun 30 14:38:34 CEST 2010

hey
maybe it's possible to test your algorithms on video captures from
sports events i.e. cheering public at soccer game or the start of a
marathon or something ?  i guess these data will be easier to find and
a lot less privacy-sensitive.
i found this one: 'crowd_run' on http://media.xiph.org/video/derf/

ptr_
(hsbxl - hs brussels,belgium)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Yves Quemener <quemener.yves at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am looking for video recordings of big crowds (ideally protests) in order
> to test various crowd-counting algorithms.
>
> We had protests here in France recently and the differences between police
> estimation and organizers estimation is unacceptably high (14 000 vs 120
> 000). Exploring the possibilities for a provable automated or semi-automated
> count seems like a logical consequence for that. Both sides are using
> approximations and multiply an estimated density by an estimated area.
> Wouldn't it be possible to give a count of individuals ? Various algorithms
> are promising for this (like this one :
> http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/research/projects/Crowds/).
>
> Therefore I would be very interested if someone could help me find
> recordings of protests. It doesn't have to be free of rights, I am willing
> to agree with restrictive licenses as I know that privacy can be an issue on
> this kind of pictures (the license has to authorize research use and open
> source software creation, though). I am interested in any kind of video, but
> here is the ideal recording :
> - recording of a protest where the crowd is at least 10 persons wide
> - fixed view (not handheld)
> - long enough so that most people in the first frame have passed by the
> camera and are not visible anymore in the last frame
> - Angle : either vertical enough so that one can see the ground (vertical
> camera on a balcony) or facing the crowd (the typical picture angle that
> journalists use to give a sense of the depth of the protest)
> - high definition : the higher the resolution, the better. If the head of a
> person is not at least a few pixels wide, it will be hard to count.
> - Without too much compression artifacts (either with a good quality
> compression or uncompressed)
>
> This list of criterions is almost impossible to fulfill I fear, so I am
> interested in any video that fits at least one criterion. I will try to make
> some recordings on rush hour in strategic places, but a protest moves
> differently than a rush-hour crowd. Comments and advices are of course more
> than welcomed. And if someone heard about a project with similar goals,
> please let me know !
>
> Iv

http://www.L45.be/voidpointer
0493 52 5009