[hackerspaces] US liability insurance recommendations?

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 04:34:13 CEST 2010

Peter,

I'd recommend calling the insurance agent that does your
car/home/ferret insurance and ask them. They likely don't offer what
you need, but will refer you to someone locally who handles commercial
liability insurance.  This is much easier than just opening the phone
book and randomly calling insurance companies.

Be prepared to articulate what you do.  The agent we used had to shop
several insurance companies to find one that would insure a "less than
conventional" operation.  In the end, we put up some more info on our
web page with examples of the projects we do, etc and they were
willing to insure us. You should decide if there are any restrictions
that you don't want to live with and work accordingly.

For the policy limits/etc, this will probably be decided by your lease
terms. Something like US$1-2M in general libaility seems to be common
around here.

Arclight