[hackerspaces] [Eviction] Call for Support for les Hauts Lieux

Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) nick at hackerspaces.org
Thu Jun 10 17:12:45 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:42, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:
> I am curious, I know I've been critical of the "squatting" approach before
> in the past, and still am.

Matt:  In answer to your question, "Doctrine of Allurement" (UK) or
"Attractive Nuisance" (USA) is not as prevalent a concept in
Continental European tort law.  In general, Continental European torts
are limited as the State is more likely to pick up the costs of such
an accident and/or recover said costs from the landowner.

In Europe, generally thanks to greater prevalence of absentee
landlords, squatting is a recognized, though non-ideal method of
bootstrapping a hackerspace.

That being said--can we possibly avoid a flame war on the squatting
issue and leave it as a difference of opinion within the community?
Even asking nuanced questions of law in this respect could blow up and
lead to a fresh exodus of people who are more interested in technical
issues.

--
Nick Farr / http://nickfarr.org / 8B13F204
Washington, DC, 20013-1208