[hackerspaces] Lasersaur on kickstarter.com wants $10k to develop an open source laser cutter

Jaap Vermaas jaap at tuxic.nl
Tue Jun 1 15:38:56 CEST 2010

Hi People,

We (Mobile Fab Lab NL & Spullenmannen) recently bought a China-made
laser cutter, 60W 30x50 cm for about 3000 euro.

The first thing we did was open it and make an inventory of the hardware
used in it. Our conclusion was that we could have build all parts
ourselves from off-the-shelve parts, except for the laser tube.

Since we plan to use it "mobile" (in a truck) being able to repair it
ourselves is essential. And there's no warranty on it anyway!

Building DIY Laser tubes is too complicated for most of us, i guess, so
we bought a spare, just to be sure. You can buy 60 Watt lasers in NL for
about 400-600 euros.

More interesting, all the electronics (stepper motor boards and main
board) look very standard and could be easily replaced by (for example)
the board from a Makerbot.

Our conclusion is that the biggest gap between laser cutting and open
source design (AOI, QCad, Inkscape) is the electronics and the driver.
It would be great to either hack the current mainboard so we can make a
Linux driver for it, or just replace the mainboard with something that
speaks Maker-bot/RepRap compatible GCODE allready. It doesn't look too
hard, but "time" is the limiting factor here.

So: yes, an open source laser cutter, please! And please focus on
electronics replacements and drivers!

Jaap