[hackerspaces] Lasersaur on kickstarter.com wants $10k to develop an open source laser cutter

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 03:55:01 CEST 2010

This sound interesting. Most importantly, I think we need a good,
sturdy 3-axis gantry that can be used to move around a router, Dremel
tool, LASER head, stencil cutting knife, etc.

All of the systems I have seen so far (Reprap, Makerbot, etc)  are too
light to move something like a LASER system or a high-speed router for
cutting out circuit boards/etc.

And all of the heavy-duty movements I've seen have involved one-off
salvaged components, like steppers+ball screws from a wrecked CNC
machine tool or a large industrial line printer.

So I would encourage the team to think about not making the platform
100% specific to LASER cutting, but an open design that could have
multiple components bolted on.

A repeatable design for a nice, rigid 3-axis movement would be an
excellent "Stage 1" design goal, even if the LASER portion proves to
be harder to master.

Arclight
http://shop.23b.org