[hackerspaces] Attention All HackerSpace Safety Directors And Those Interested In Space Safety

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:17:20 CET 2010

Hank,

Setting aside the political/social/legal part of this discussion that seems
to have everyone's panties in a bind, I think this a great idea.

At 23B, we've been thinking about doing a shop safety orientation for new
guests/members and then a short test, just like you had to do in High School
shop class.  This would be something like a 1-hour demo that is interactive.
Since nobdoy wants to teach this, the plan was to charge $5-10, and let
whoever gives the class pocket it.

We previously did a gun safety presentaiton for anyone that wanted to come
on our camping trips, and it was very well received.  I have that
presentation archived if anyone wants it.

Having a plan and at least some minimal standards everyone has to meet is a
good thing, whether it's for your insurance agent or not. We had the fire
department come by to do an inspection of the complex last week, and I was
pleasantly surprised that they just wanted to help us not burn down the
building.

FYI, there are some great resources for shop/machine safety available at:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/

Arclight
http://shop.23b.org