[hackerspaces] Children in hackerspaces.

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Fri Jan 29 10:06:21 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:48:18AM -0500, Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) wrote:
> And, granted, this is simply my opinion.  As a sociologist, I'm seeing
> the kinds of disagreements and arguments we're having as signs that a
> corner has turned for the worse.  We had a rapid period of growth, and
> it appears that 2010 will be the year when there will be more spaces
> folding than opening.  Not reaching out, moving on, expanding and
> looking for new opportunities (i.e. engaging kids) just makes my
> prediction more likely.

Perhaps the US is ahead of us in that regard, but I see none of that in
my own region (Benelux). The Netherlands is seeing initiatives being
deployed, belgium is rapidly gaining hackerspaces and Luxembourg is (for
me at least) a big inspiration.

Who knows, maybe in a few years we'll face the abyss the US hackerspaces
are apparently facing. But for now, hackerspaces are go over here!

Gr,

Koen