[hackerspaces] Children in hackerspaces.

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Mon Jan 25 14:16:23 CET 2010

quemener.yves at free.fr writes:

>Just to be curious : Has such a thing happened in a hackerspace someone
>knows on this list ? I mean someone getting hurt, either minor or adult,
>and attacking the hackerspace in a lawsuit ?

>Has any hackerspace ever closed because of that ?

Most hackerspaces have barely opended, they haven't had time to get sued
yet. Give it a few years.

We came to the same conclusion as most US hackerspaces: Adults have to
sign a waiver, kids must be accompanied (and supervised) by a parent. We
also set an age limit of 10 years old, but we might make an exception on
a case-by-case basis.

Unfortunately this leaves out kids whose parents aren't interested.
We don't have a solution for that.