[hackerspaces] hackers + Haiti

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Sun Jan 17 21:54:23 CET 2010

Sounds like there's at least one other group doing something similar:
http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/telecom-emergency-team-deploys-to-haiti-3028

RadioReference.com's wiki has some recently updated info on radio coms
in Haiti along with live streams:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Haiti_Earthquake_2010

For international ham emergency operations the "SALVATION ARMY TEAM
EMERGENCY RADIO NETWORK" has some good info:
http://www.satern.org/training.html

They also have a live stream of their radio net at times during the day.

In the US there's the ARES and RACES groups, if you dig around I'm
sure you can find their operations manuals:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/faq-ares-races.html

For email over ham radio there's the free WinLink system. However, be
warned, a lot of hams hate it because it has a tendency to transmit
over other peoples voice communications (basically there's no way for
your system to politely wait for someone's voice transmission to end
before it barrels out a data link to another winlink system on that
channel). I only say this so you know what you are getting into
politically ;)
http://www.winlink.org/

And of course running a packet BBS is a fun way to annoy hams who want
more APRS repeaters in your area. There is a TON of info out there on
running a packet BBS and it seems all of the documentation was last
updated in 1998. This site has a well rounded amount of info on a
single page:
http://www.n9lya.com/

More Packet software:
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Packet/

Sorry to any hams that I might offend with my comments ;).

-dosman