[hackerspaces] Roaming Membership USA Was: Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Sean Bonner seanbonner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:48:05 CET 2010

I think the misunderstanding was that I was talking about the
"automatic basic" which seems kind of universal, and you were talking
about the full reciprocal which I agree is a more specific agreement
between spaces.

In my example from before Crash Space (which is generally a members
only space) welcomes all members of any hackerspace to come to the
space at any time, but those visitors would not get keys, and would
not get a vote. If we extended the key/vote thing to people outside of
Los Angeles it would likely be on a person by person basis, not on any
member from X-space. But we want any member from X-space to feel
welcome to stop by when they are in town.

-s

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Far McKon <farmckon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> simmer down now, that isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that
>> right now, pre-this-wiki-page it seems there is a general all people
>> from hackerspaces are welcome at other hackerspaces policy that we all
>> agree on.
> Agreed
>
>>  It might be unspoken but when I asked if anyone had been
>> denied access to any other space everyone agreed that hadn't happened
>> so we're talking about formalizing something that is already working
>> fine and without problems.
>
> I think we are miscommunicating on two points there. I'm not talking
> about formalization, just listing existence of other agreements.
> Second is that the goal
> is to list agreemnts between spaces that are more than just 'you can
> visit us while someone is in the space' level agreements.
>
> The goal of that page (from my point of view) was to list situations
> where there was more of a policy than simply 'you're always welcome as
> a guest' (which is the blanket case) but to list more in-depth access
> options that some spaces have created.
>
>> You are asking spaces to create a white list of other spaces they
>> accept which is way more restrictive than the current situation.
>
> That is not what I am asking, and if it's unclear, please let me know
> how. What I was trying to ask was for spaces to list themselves when
> they have more in-depth collaboration that accepting other hackers as
> visitors.
>
>> Someone looking at that list who didn't see the name of the
>> hackerspace-A where they were a member of next to hackerspace-B might
>> assume they aren't welcome there when it fact the real issue could be
>> simply hackerspace-B being unaware of hackerspace-As existence.
>
> Sure, so maybe we should add a 'Almost all spaces accept other
> hackerspcae members as visitors' section on the top of the page.  The
> collabortion is labeled as levels of 'cross membership', not
> visitor-ship or friendship to indicate that it's not just visiting,
> but having a deeper collaboration.
>
>> I'm not assuming anything, this is what we've been talking about in
>> this discussion so far. So far everyone has said members of other
>> hackerspacers are welcome, and no one has said only members from X but
>> not from Y are welcome.
>
> Sorry if I put words in your mouth on assumptions, but based on what
> you were saying, that is how it came across to me. The descriptions of
> the levels of cross membership are more in depth that 'others hackers
> are welcome to visit or use our space'.
>
>> The norm seems that all members of all hackerspaces are welcome at
>> others, the rare exception should be the thing that is noted.
>
> Yes, and accepted as guests (usually if someone is already in the
> space) but not a automatic members, or getting keys, or other member
> benefits like voting, server admin, being able to take equipment home,
> or any other space-member benefits, etc.

> [...]

Sean Bonner
http://www.seanbonner.com - homebase
http://www.metblogs.com - get local
Unless agreed upon, assume everything in this e-mail might be blogged.
Sent from Los Angeles, CA, United States