[hackerspaces] [armin at easynet.co.uk: Re: [Bricolabs] Digital Inclusion???]

quemener.yves at free.fr quemener.yves at free.fr
Wed Feb 24 12:29:24 CET 2010

Sorry about this answer that is very France-centric, but recently a report made for/by the French ministry of Education surprisingly gives a few good hints at what should be done in the field of IT at school. It is mainly 70 propositions. Unfortunately the report is in French : http://www.reussirlecolenumerique.fr/pdf/Rapport_mission_fourgous.pdf

Here I roughly translate 3 of them that look interesting :

M14. Urgently create, in the copyright laws, an exception for educational purposes.
(Créer en urgence, dans le système juridique du droit d’auteur, une exception pédagogique facilitatrice et durable. )

M17. Create a national scrutiny agency for numerical resources, that will organize and make visible the public and private offers.
(Créer un Observatoire national des ressources numériques pour simplifier, organiser et rendre visible l’offre publique et privée.)

M23. Favor the development of "free" resources et the providing of non-paying resources
(Favoriser le développement de ressources « libres » et la mise à disposition de ressources non payantes.)

This is not yet a public position of the ministry (and unfortunately I think they will remove its substance before doing anything with it) but this is a public document made with public funds. That can give it some weight if some people here are looking for arguments in a debate with official authorities.

I'd like also to point out that Pirate Parties exist in a lot of European countries as of today. They are in general a bit less competent technically than hackers but a lot more than politicians and will sometimes have interesting contacts (disclaimer : I'm part of the French pirate party)

Iv