[hackerspaces] revspace and randomdata in the news re wikileaks ddos story

Hans Fraiponts fraiponts at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:09:31 CET 2010

Thanks for this information.

One thing that bothers me in this tread is there's no clear agreed
upon definition of 'ethics', or ethical.
We can discuss till the cows come home about "frogs are green", if we
don't have a specific agreed-upon definition what 'green' is.

Is this the classic golden rule "don't do onto others..." or an
advanced golden rule? Or a derivative:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule
How does this correlate to the existential ethics as defined by
Sartre? Or the other types for instance :
http://rebirthofreason.com/Articles/Thompson/The_4_Main_Kinds_of_Ethics_An_Introduction.shtml

I have the idea that for most participants in this thread, ethics is a
gut-feeling kind of thing? This is the reason you're all talking next
to each-other.

It reminds me of another debate, for instance, sometimes when there is
a strike in .be the ppl that have joined the strike put up an blockade
so ppl who are willing to work can't get to their workplace. Is this
ethical?
Also, the french come to mind, remember a while ago the truckers
ddos't the country by blocking critical infrastructure with their
trucks, they wanted cheaper prices for gas, it worked. Another
blockade of them was in the nineties, I think it lasted for a week or
two. That's a centrally organised ddos on the highways, at specific
interjunctions, critical infrastructure, and those guys got a away
with it.

And here we're talking about a website or two that got offline.

In brussels, politicians pushed policy's against farmers, those guys
took their tractors went to BXL and kicked some serious ass.
Basically they trashed the main street, consequence : no new policies.
So now no politician feels inclined to step on the toes of the farmers
(too much).

I'm not making a moral judgement here.

Grts,

Hans