[hackerspaces] wikileaks - switching from paypal

Matthew Forr matthew.forr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 16:42:15 CET 2010

We've had problems with Paypal far before Wikileaks and had our account
frozen twice. Apparently if you ask for donations anywhere on their site and
Paypal finds out they freeze your account and ask for proof that you're a
501c3. There customer service is terrible and I can't recommend against
using them enough, that said, I'm not surprised they froze Wikileaks account
and I feel their pain.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Tim Saylor <tim.saylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> We had a minor drama bomb on our mailing list about using paypal and our
> general conclusion was that the space shouldn't get distracted with politics
> and take an official stand on the matter.  If people want to pay us with
> paypal, great.  If they want to use another method (and if enough people
> want us to support something else) that's great too.
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Christopher Pilkington <cjp at 0x1.net>wrote:
>
>> Don't hackerspaces use actual bank or credit union accounts?  I would have
>> never considered using PayPal, even before the wikileaks fiasco.
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Alexandre Girard <alx.girard at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> We've remove the paypal button on homepage for monthly membership
>>> subscription, and since we meet once a week, it was not so useful.
>>>
>>> We've got the bi-annual financial meeting next wednesday, we've got
>>> accounts on Flattr or WePay it people need this
>>> online-membership-payment feature back.
>>>
>>> Alex - tetalab.org

>>> alternative

-Matthew