[hackerspaces] was: need a hacker should be: how not to make a fool of ourselves and ride us deeper into the hacker/cracker stigma

Sean Bonner sean at seanbonner.com
Fri Aug 27 11:52:52 CEST 2010

I think expecting people who are apart of the hackerspace community to all
act as the PR department in charge of fixing he public perception of the
word "hacker" is only going to end in disappointment.

I think we change the perception by doing cool things in public on a regular
basis, not by suffering every fool who walks through the door.

-s

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Jean de Largentaye <jean at largentaye.org>wrote:

> On 08/27/2010 10:19 AM, Yves Quemener wrote:
> > Now she has probably understood that it was just a joke. So for her now
> > hackers are not only people who break into private networks but are also
> > bullies. Yep, great PR fail.
>
> Sorry, I should've been clearer: when I said we were on the right
> track, I was thinking about the hackerspace boom, not this specific
> discussion.

Sean Bonner
http://www.seanbonner.com - homebase
http://www.metblogs.com - get local

*** Please check your address books, the best e-mail for me is
sean at seanbonner.com